1. Know and thoroughly understand the rules. There are various setting’s and options, one of the most harsh rules when playing Dominategame is being completely removed from the game for not ending your turn quick enough.
2. Australia is an excellent continent to gain control of at the beginning stage of the game, once held you can stock pile your troops at the single entrance point to the continent. Another bonus is the freedom to roam Asia to collect those vital cards. Beware you will almost always have early competition.
3. Once you manage to get yourself into the position to attack multiple countries in a single turn. Remember to use the ‘do or die’ option to attack with your entire army, saving you valuable time. This option can be very unforgiving though.
4. Understand the dice method used in risk. A player attacking can roll a maximum of 3 dice, whilst the defender can roll a maximum of 2. The game doesn’t reward a win on the total of the dice, but on the highest number. For example you attack with 3 dice and roll three 1’s, the defender rolls a 2, the defender wins.
5. Never capture a full continent when your enemies out number you on the outskirts of your boarder, you will see this example quite often with South America attacking the newly captured North America.
6. following tip 3, try to prevent players capturing large continent’s such as North America, Europe and of course Asia! It will only be a matter of turns until they out power joker gamimg with massive troop bonuses.
7. Always gain cards, every turn you have an opportunity to gain a single card, you do this by winning a battle. its very easy to get blockaded in South America and having no chance of gaining cards without taking massive loses. Attempt to keep units in Asia, attack a single army with 3 of yours for maximum result.
8. When playing with increasing card redemption values, always keep your cards, you are allowed to hold up to 5. Forcing other players to use their cards will make your’s more valuable. Make a mental note of how many cards everyone has, can be difficult with several players, but late in the game you will know the best time to snowball. Snowballing is basically killing one player, burning their cards for incredible amount of units, and moving to the next player with the possibility of killing every single player.
9. Diplomacy is a vital skill you need to learn in risk, manipulating players to do your bidding can be easily achieved when making the correct moves and not attacking randomly. Some games have private chat in which you can create short-term relationships. This doesn’t mean teaming up with your friend from the very beginning, you will no doubt find yourself playing alone.